Saturday, February 23, 2019

11 Grizzly Bear Tips

As a creative writing major, I find myself writing a lot of different types of stories, though I tend to write more fiction stories. This gives me a lot of freedom when it comes to deciding what I want to write and how I want to write it. However, sometimes, when I'm writing more realistic fiction, it requires me to do a bit of research on subjects I may not be particularly knowledgeable about. I recently had to write a workshop piece for one of my creative writing classes, which had me researching some interesting topics. In my story, two of my protagonists are attacked by a grizzly bear. Since I'm not a grizzly bear expert, I had to do a bit of research to uncover some of the dos and don'ts when it comes to grizzly bear attacks. I thought I would share some of this information with you guys just in case you ever find yourself in a situation like this.


PBS wrote an article on what you should do if you ever encounter a grizzly bear.

Here’s what the experts say to do:


  1. If you encounter a grizzly, do not run.
  2. Avoid direct eye contact.
  3. Walk away slowly, if the bear is not approaching.
  4. If the bear charges, stand your ground (You cannot outrun it. They can run up to 40 mph).
  5. Don’t scream or yell. Speak in a soft monotone voice and wave your arms to let the animal know you are human.
  6. If you have pepper spray, prepare to use it.
  7. If the grizzly charges to within 25 feet of where you’re standing, use the spray.
  8. If the animal makes contact, curl up into a ball on your side, or lie flat on your stomach.
  9. Try not to panic; remain as quiet as possible until the attack ends.
  10. While in bear country, be aware that you may encounter a bear at any time.
  11. Be sure the bear has left the area before getting up to seek help.
I really hope you guys never have to use any of these tips, but it can't hurt to spread the knowledge!

2 comments:

  1. These tips are great! Although I have never encountered a Grizzly Bear I now know what to do if I do run into one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I hope I never run into a grizzly bear, but I'll have to keep these tips in mind when I travel to places where they are common.

    ReplyDelete